The Beatitudes of DJT

White House Photo by Joyce Boghosian

Christians hold the Beatitudes of Jesus Christ in special regard. Historians tell us these are actual words spoken by Christ. The Beatitudes, which are referred to as the Sermon on the Mount, are more about behaving rather than believing. It is from this sermon that we learn to love our enemies, to forgive others, and to care for the poor and marginalized.

As a practicing Christian, I took note when some Christians told me that Donald Trump is an outstanding Christian role model. I especially took note when some Christians, mostly white evangelicals, said Donald Trump is the second coming of Christ.

With that, I asked myself, if Donald Trump is the second coming of Christ, or the Chosen One as he refers to himself, then what behavior should I model from his own words?

I decided to list some of the actual guidance of Donald Trump. I call these The Beatitudes of DJT.

Dealing with Your Enemies

“I believe strongly in getting even."

"The clergy have called, the ministers, the priests, the rabbis, they have all said what a terrible thing to say. That's against our teachings. I just believe it. I believe in an eye for an eye.” (Eye For An Eye Trump’s Favorite Bible Verse) and (#Unfit: The Psychology of Donald Trump)

“I love getting even with people.” (1992 interview with Charlie Rose)

"Revenge can be justified." (ABC News reporting on interview with Dr. Phil)

Interactions with Women

“And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. ... Grab 'em by the p***y. You can do anything.” (2005 interview with Access Hollywood)

"I would never buy Ivana any decent jewels or pictures. Why give her negotiable assets?" (Trump during the early years of his marriage to Ivana (Vanity Fair))

“Why would I talk to you with so many beautiful women around. I wouldn’t let you s*** my d***.” (#Unfit: The Psychology of Donald Trump)

“If Hillary Clinton can’t satisfy her husband what makes her think she can satisfy America #MakeAmericaGreatAgain.” (The dark depths of hatred for Hillary Clinton - BBC News)

“It’s certainly not groundbreaking news that the early victories by the women on ‘The Apprentice’ were, to a very large extent, dependent on their sex appeal.” (AP News: Trump has long history of offensive comments about women)

“It doesn’t really matter what [the media] write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass.” (Archice Library at Georgia State University)

Interactions With the Marginalized

“Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” (Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris). (NBC News: John Kelly confirms Trump privately disparaged U.S. service members and veterans)

"What you're seeing and what you're reading is not what's happening." (Donald Trump gaslighting people to believe his version of reality. BBC, July 25, 2018)

“Let’s say that they do a job that’s not good, or a job that they didn’t finish, or a job that was way late. I’ll deduct from their contract, absolutely,” Trump said. “That’s what the country should be doing.” DJT explaining why he hasn't paid hundreds of small businesses an individual contractors. (2016, USA TODAY exclusive: Hundreds allege Donald Trump doesn’t pay his bills) NOTE: Trump has been involved in more legal cases than his fellow magnates Edward J. DeBartolo Jr., Donald Bren, Stephen M. Ross, Sam Zell, and Larry Silverstein combined.

“Immigrants coming to the U.S. are poisoning the blood of our country.” (remarks during a campaign rally in Reno, Nev., December, 2023)

“Why do you bring people like that here? No one wants to see that, the wounded.” (Trump Has a Real Problem With Wounded Vets - Intelligencer)

"You got to get out and vote. In four years, you don’t have to vote again. We’ll have it fixed so good, you’re not going to have to vote." (Trump Declines to Back Away From ‘You Don’t Have to Vote Again’ - NY Times)

What do you say to Americans who are really Scared. “I say you are a bad reporter.” (COVID Press Conference March, 2020).

“He's not a war hero, he's a war hero because he was captured. I like people who weren't captured, okay?” (NBC News: The awful reality that Donald Trump’s repeated attacks on John McCain prove). 

Defining Success

“You have to be wealthy in order to be great.” (2016 Campaign speech in North Dakota)

"My whole life I’ve been greedy, greedy, greedy. I’ve grabbed all the money I could get. I’m so greedy." (VOX: Trump: “My whole life I've been greedy …)

“I knocked his ball over here so he could have a putt at it. But then he put it back! And that’s why he’s an unemployed coach and I’m worth $13 billion” (How and why President Trump cheats at golf — even when he’s playing against Tiger Woods - Golf.com)

How Should We Behave?

Given that, how should Trump-supporting Christians balance their behavior between the Beatitudes of DJT versus the Beatitudes of Jesus Christ? I'd really like to know.

 


Comments

  1. Excellent overview. Excellent question. I, too, want to know. (Leslie Wilson)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment